japonisme: love the wild color

13 October 2008

love the wild color

(for princess to welcome her back)

before japanese prints arrived in the west, this on the left may have been what passed as riotous color; imagine the response to this on the right. nice girls didn't, but raoul dufy did.

LOVE THE WILD SWAN

“I hate my verses, every line, every word.

Oh pale and brittle pencils ever to try
One grass-blade’s curve, or the throat of one bird
That clings to twig, ruffled against white sky.







Oh cracked and twilight mirrors ever to catch
One color, one glinting flash, of the splendor of things.

Unlucky hunter, Oh bullets of wax,
The lion beauty, the wild-swan wings, the storm of the wings.”

—This wild swan of a world is no hunter’s game.

Better bullets than yours would miss the white breast,
Better mirrors than yours would crack in the flame.

Does it matter whether you hate your...self? At least
Love your eyes that can see, your mind that can
Hear the music, the thunder of the wings. Love the wild swan.

Robinson Jeffers

Robinson Jeffers, “Love the Wild Swan” from The Collected Poetry of Robinson Jeffers, edited by Tim Hunt. Copyright (c) by the Jeffers Literary Properties.

Source: The Collected Poetry of Robinson Jeffers (Stanford University Press, 1988).

Labels: , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Diane Dehler said...

Thank you for your exquisite welcome back post, Lotus.

I love the photo of the "anima twins."

Your posts are erudite and yet confections of color and spirit. Your style is elegant and unique.

13 October, 2008 22:15  
Blogger Tess Kincaid said...

LOVE this first painting of the two girls!! Great colors.

14 October, 2008 07:32  
Blogger Folded letters said...

I love the first painting, that was my favorite of the Louvre. Over any of the 'masterpieces'. And, it was because of the color. This is a beautiful blog. I've added it to my bookmarks.

-fl

14 October, 2008 07:53  
Blogger lotusgreen said...

i'm glad you like it, princess; from now on i shall wear my baker's hat when i sit down to post.

willow! it's so funny--i chose that only as an illustration of the difference and all three of you chose that one to comment on.

and fl, i'm impressed--yes, it was the only one at the louvre, of the many i browsed, that wasn't all in black!

14 October, 2008 10:03  
Blogger Diane Dehler said...

Hi Lotus,
I like how you are doing your "annex." It looks very stylish. I am not up on the new blogger features yet and it will take a while I guess.

I am on a total chrysanthemum spree and have posted many more photos. My own flowers have been delayed from bloom as it is too warm where I live still. The temperature has to drop into the fifties at night. Hopefully, I'll see some in a few weeks.

15 October, 2008 23:14  
Blogger lotusgreen said...

those photos are just so georgeous. i don't think i've ever seen anything quite like them.

15 October, 2008 23:37  
Blogger here today, gone tomorrow said...

Mmmmmmmmmm...a banquet of color for the eyes! Yummy!

18 October, 2008 07:16  
Blogger lotusgreen said...

thank you my friend. nothing like a little color to wash the bigotry out of your hair.

18 October, 2008 07:59  

Post a Comment

hi, and thanks so much for stopping by. i spend all too much time thinking my own thoughts about this stuff, so please tell me yours. i thrive on the exchange!

<< Home

newer posts older posts