japonisme

19 July 2007

By that fallen house the pear-tree stands
full- blooming...
an ancient battle site.

Shiki


The Groundfall Pear

It is the one he chooses,
Yellow, plump, a little bruised
On one side from falling.
That place he takes first.

Jane Hirshfield


Study of Two Pears

I
Opusculum paedagogum.
The pears are not viols,
Nudes or bottles.
They resemble nothing else.

II
They are yellow forms
Composed of curves
Bulging toward the base.
They are touched red.

III
They are not flat surfaces
Having curved outlines.
They are round
Tapering toward the top.

Wallace Stevens


May Day

A delicate fabric of bird song
Floats in the air,
The smell of wet wild earth
Is everywhere.

Red small leaves of the maple
Are clenched like a hand,
Like girls at their first communion
The pear trees stand.

Oh I must pass nothing by
Without loving it much,
The raindrop try with my lips,
The grass with my touch;

For how can I be sure
I shall see again
The world on the first of May
Shining after the rain?

Sarah Teasdale

Labels: , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger harlequinpan said...

Masterpieces! Absolutely not easy.

20 July, 2007 10:25  
Blogger lotusgreen said...

people think haiku are easy too :^)

you know what i just learned today that i didn't know when i posted this stuff yesterday?

that the artist of the third image was the student of the artist of the second. shouldn't surprise me, looking at them....

20 July, 2007 17:34  

Post a Comment

hi, and thanks so much for stopping by. i spend all too much time thinking my own thoughts about this stuff, so please tell me yours. i thrive on the exchange!

<< Home

newer posts older posts