japonisme: solstice V

17 December 2007

solstice V

MALHEUR BEFORE DAWN

An owl sound wandered
along the road with me.
I didn’t hear it —
I breathed it into my ears.

Little ones at first,
the stars retired, leaving
polished little circles on the sky for awhile.








Then the sun began to shout
from below the horizon.
Throngs of birds campaigned,
their music a tent of sound.







From across a pond, out of the mist,
one drake made a V and said its name.

Some vast animal of air began to rouse
from the reeds and lean outward.






Frogs discovered their
national anthem again.
I didn’t know a ditch could hold
so much joy.




So magic a time it was that I was both brave and afraid.
Some day like this
might save the world.

William Stafford

from Even In Quiet Places © 1996

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

hi, and thanks so much for stopping by. i spend all too much time thinking my own thoughts about this stuff, so please tell me yours. i thrive on the exchange!

<< Home

newer posts older posts