japonisme: the blog as mask • (halloween suite)

28 October 2009

the blog as mask • (halloween suite)



THE POEM AS MASK

Orpheus

When I wrote of the women in their dances and wildness,
it was a mask,





on their mountain, gold-hunting, singing, in orgy,
it was a mask;
when I wrote of the god,
fragmented, exiled from himself, his life, the love
gone down with song,
it was myself, split open, unable to speak, in exile from myself.

There is no mountain, there is no god, there is memory
of my torn life, myself split open in sleep, the rescued child
beside me among the doctors, and a word
of rescue from the great eyes.




No more masks!
No more mythologies!



Now, for the first time,
the god lifts his hand,
the fragments join in me with their own music.

Muriel Rukeyser

From Muriel Rukeyser:
Selected Poems by Muriel Rukeyser

Copyright © 2004 by William Rukeyser.



how in youth we create identities, or we wait for them to be revealed to us. we shop for them in things, in clothing, in reflections in store windows.

at last the search is done and we have our story. now if only we can live up to it.

then one day we are old and realize that we never found a thing, we just found masks to suit a daily life, and then became them.

when we are old, we realize our own folly.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Yoli said...

I have missed coming here. But so delighted come by today for this gem.

29 October, 2009 11:07  
Blogger lotusgreen said...

i missed you too, yoli! are you old enough to have had, or not had, this experience?

29 October, 2009 11:28  
Anonymous evan said...

They wanna send me off to rehab I say noh noh noh...

Love the masks (& the elegance of the Harper's cover)

30 October, 2009 13:11  
Blogger lotusgreen said...

g-r-o-o-o-a-a-a-n!!!!

:^)

30 October, 2009 16:17  
Anonymous jouissens said...

Utterly exquisite, the entire series of Halloween posts!

31 October, 2009 09:04  
Blogger lotusgreen said...

i am thrilled that you think so, and that you said so. thank you. bonne masque!

31 October, 2009 10:43  

Post a Comment

hi, and thanks so much for stopping by. i spend all too much time thinking my own thoughts about this stuff, so please tell me yours. i thrive on the exchange!

<< Home

newer posts older posts