japonisme: Circling • (the calendars)

31 March 2010

Circling • (the calendars)

9.
March, sodden, bled away to April.
On my birthday i had a dream.

A tooth had loosened
to a taste like iron.

With two fingers I gripped the crown

and pulled it out.
No blood, but tiny sepals,

faint green leaves
that slowly blossomed in the sun

awakening me


to one last snow,
its glare in sunlight
harsh, a kind of trial.



APRIL FIRE

1
What is it we
desire in spring,
or are we merely a part
of desiring?
In early morning,
birdsong trills
like running water.
Something in us grows
from darkness.

Below these trees,
huge fountains that stand,
already the worms begin
to slide
their alphabet

over white roots,
white tendrils
that slowly unfurl,
grow, and divide
finer than a woman's hair,

while the orange of robins
moves like flame
across the lawn.

Mark Irwin

from Against the Meanwhile (c) 1988 Mark Irwin. published by Wesleyan University Press.

these two bits are but a wee excerpt from a very long poem called Circling, which travels the year. here, obviously, we're at the same moment in the poem as we are on the earth. perhaps more will follow.

and these calendars, ones for which i can find no further pa- ges, or no more information, keep me on the prowl through the back musty rooms of shops and museums, searching. rooting.


i hope you've not yet tired of my series. i've got more!

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I look forward to the next posting of this wonderful series, as I have since its beginning.
I particularly like the tall,thin January the design makes me think of Japanese scrolls. Also the stencil design is so strong and so well arranged - I love it.

01 April, 2010 07:34  
Blogger lotusgreen said...

dorothy--aren'tyou sweet -- thank you!

and i'm sure you're right, the scrolls having been the inspiration.

01 April, 2010 09:22  
Blogger Yoli said...

I never get tired of your series, I hope you fing more!

01 April, 2010 13:18  
Blogger lotusgreen said...

oh thank you yoli! and, fortunately, i keep finging new ones all the time! :^D

01 April, 2010 17:44  

Post a Comment

hi, and thanks so much for stopping by. i spend all too much time thinking my own thoughts about this stuff, so please tell me yours. i thrive on the exchange!

<< Home

newer posts older posts