japonisme: imitated from the japanese ― w b yeats

11 February 2007

imitated from the japanese ― w b yeats

W. B. Yeats

Imitated from the Japanese (1938)

A most astonishing thing
Seventy years have I lived;

(Hurrah for the flowers of Spring
For Spring is here again.)

Seventy years have I lived
No ragged beggar man,
Seventy years have I lived,
Seventy years man and boy,
And never have I danced for joy.



Imitated from the Japanese. The speaker celebrates the coming of spring and finds It ‘astonishing’ that he has lived through seventy years without ‘danc[ing] for joy’. Yeats included an earlier version of the poem in a letter to Dorothy Wellesley in December 1936. He wrote there that he had ‘made’ the poem ‘out of a prose translation of a Japanese Hokku in praise of Spring’, but the work is nothing like ‘hokku’, prose translation or otherwise, and does not remind of anything in Japanese tradition.

Finneran in The Collected Poems of W. B. Yeats, rev. ed. (New York: Collier, 1989) finds an ‘apparent source’ in Miyamori’s Anthology of Haiku, most likely, he suggests, ‘My Longing After Departed Spring’, by Emori Gekkyo, but the similarity is not striking. Yeats’s poem is nine lines about joy occasioned by the arrival of spring, Gekkyo’s two lines about longing occasioned by its departure. The ‘prose translation of a . . . Hokku’ from which Yeats worked, then, has yet to be identified.1 [this site, the margins, is so incredible; i find myself returning again and again.]

(barbier, gekko, zumbusch: they all dance for spring)

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger vin said...

Hi,
You left a comment on my blog at
Dummies Guide to Google Blogger Beta
For help contact me directly by email. The address is in left column of my blog.

11 February, 2007 19:12  
Blogger lotusgreen said...

thanks vin

12 February, 2007 15:58  
Blogger Diane Dehler said...

I found the link to prints. Thanks Lotusgreen and now I have to rush; late for a music lesson. Have a nice day.

13 February, 2007 08:31  

Post a Comment

hi, and thanks so much for stopping by. i spend all too much time thinking my own thoughts about this stuff, so please tell me yours. i thrive on the exchange!

<< Home

newer posts older posts