japonisme: the original web

15 October 2007

the original web



NEARING AUTOBIOGRAPHY

Pattiann Rogers

Those are my bones rifted

and curled, knees to chin,

among the rocks on the beach,

my hands splayed beneath my skull

in the mud. Those are my rib

bones resting like white sticks

wracked on the bank, laid down,

delivered, rubbed clean

by river and snow.



Ethereal as seedless weeds

in dim sun and frost, I see

my own bones translucent as locust

husks, light as spider bones,

as filled with light as lantern

bones when the candle flames.

And I see my bones, facile,

willing, rolling and clacking,

reveling like broken shells

among themselves in a tumbling surf.



I recognize them, no other's,

raggedly patterned and wrought,

peeled as a skeleton of sycamore

against gray skies, stiff as a fallen

spruce. I watch them floating

at night, identical lake slivers

flush against the same star bones

drifting in scattered pieces above.



Everything I assemble, all

the constructions I have rendered

are the metal and dust of my locked

and storied bones. My bald cranium

shines blind as the moon.




From Eating Bread and Honey, published by Milkweed Editions, 1997. Copyright © 1997 by Pattiann Rogers. All rights reserved. Used with permission.

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Diane Dehler said...

This poem has astonishing qualities of originality, clarity and vision. The way you have presented it pulls its beauty to its zenith. Sort of like the moon rising. I am glad that you are still blogging, Lotus. After an absence I have discovered some of my favorite blogs have vanished or gone dormant. Not that I have a right to complain. Take care.

15 October, 2007 19:55  
Blogger lotusgreen said...

i'm so glad... everything you say, and to see you here again.

i just thought of something, have you noticed that already, just a few days of rain, and gold hills are turning green again.

maybe you thrive on the rain?

i love pattiann rogers. love her.

15 October, 2007 20:55  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are getting your rain now.

Thanks for the video of your spider and for introducing me to Pattiann Rogers.

I notice that your profile now says: "Afghanistan"?

I'm sure the poppies there must be beautiful....

15 October, 2007 21:09  
Blogger lotusgreen said...

how ironic! we were leaving posts on each other's blogs at the exact same moment!

yeah, isn't that annoying??!!! if you edit your profile, you now have to choose a place and an occupation.

if you do not make a selection (i didn't even notice i was supposed to), you will be given the first choice on the list as a default. "A" as in afganistan. or as in accounting.

i'm not an accountant either.

believe me.

but this all explains the fact that others of my friends suddenly seem to be from afganistan too.

15 October, 2007 21:15  
Blogger Diane Dehler said...

Lotus, I just nominated you for a little award. Don't feel obliged to continue it etc. I just wanted you to know that I appreciate your lovely space.

16 October, 2007 01:46  
Blogger lotusgreen said...

princess--i'm sincerely honored. thank you.

17 October, 2007 08:58  
Blogger Diane Dehler said...

I tend to get moody when it rains but that is oh so good for my writing.

I never heard this singer and will check her out on you tube.

18 October, 2007 09:08  
Blogger Diane Dehler said...

Thanks for the warning to leave my profile alone. I sincerely doubt they have flute playing poet listed as an occupation choice. -Dubious as that might be. :)

18 October, 2007 09:10  
Blogger lotusgreen said...

actualy they have a category "flute-playing poets with online presences including the word princess" but so many people filled that category that they had to close it or it would break something. don't remember what. the database maybe? are databases breakable?

anyway, i'm sorry--not sure what singer you're referring to, unless you automatically just call a poet a singer, which is kind of nice.

18 October, 2007 09:47  

Post a Comment

hi, and thanks so much for stopping by. i spend all too much time thinking my own thoughts about this stuff, so please tell me yours. i thrive on the exchange!

<< Home

newer posts older posts