japonisme: for mary ellen robertson

26 December 2007

for mary ellen robertson

FIRE AND RAIN

Just yesterday morning they let me know you were gone
Suzanne, the plans they made made put an end to you
I walked out this morning and I wrote down this song
I just can't remember who to send it to

I've seen fire and I've seen rain
I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end
I've seen lonely times when I could not find a friend
But I always thought that I'd see you again

Won't you look down upon me Jesus
You got to help me make a stand
You just got to see me through another day
My body's achin' and my time is at hand
And I won't make it any other way

Oh I've seen fire and I've seen rain
I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end
I've seen lonely times when I could not find a friend
But I always thought that I'd see you again

Been walkin' my mind to an easy time
My back turned towards the sun
Lord knows when the cold wind blows
It'll turn your head around
Well, there's hours of time on the telephone line
To talk about things to come
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground

Oh, I've seen fire and I've seen rain
I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end
I've seen lonely times when I could not find a friend
But I always thought that I'd see you, baby, one more time again now
Thought I'd see you one more time again
There's just a few things comin' my way this time around now
Thought I'd see you, thought I'd see you
Fire and rain

James Taylor

(i just learned last night that a very
dear friend from high school had died.)

Labels: , , ,

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

L'm going to learn english again to more appreciate poems. Have a good day in your feeric world.

26 December, 2007 22:34  
Blogger harlequinpan said...

This is really a moving poem , it also reminds me of dear friends of mine which has gone.
i love this painting very much,for me, this is the highest realm of beauty,the colors are pure and serene.

27 December, 2007 07:23  
Blogger lotusgreen said...

thank you so much to the two of you.

these are actually the words to a song by james taylor from around 1970. i have added to the post a video of him singing it at that time.

27 December, 2007 08:04  
Blogger harlequinpan said...

i am almost the same generation, i was his audience when i'm in college .

27 December, 2007 10:39  
Blogger lotusgreen said...

how can you be the same generation??! i'm of the same generation! i thought you were much much younger than me.

by the way, l Oursonne -- it is a wonderful reason to refresh your english, and probably a great way to do it too--karaoke maybe?

27 December, 2007 11:01  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ilike james taylor, too.
please accept my heartful condolences.

28 December, 2007 06:23  
Blogger harlequinpan said...

Thanks! Lily!i am not the generation of karaoke fancier
, but i will try. :)

James Taylor is older than me by four years,i "think" it's the same generation. :)

28 December, 2007 08:19  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, wait. He's James Taylor is MY generation.

Lotus, I linked to you in a recent post in my blog. Please excuse my telling you this so publicly but I don't have a private email for you.

Thanks for everything in your blog. Liza
www.seesawtypepad.com

28 December, 2007 18:46  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Karaoké ? Hum ? I don't like that so much... but it's an idea.

28 December, 2007 23:54  
Blogger Karla said...

I always loved that song, but it was a shock to learn (a year or two ago) why James Taylor wrote it. It's been hard for me to listen to ever since.

29 December, 2007 10:00  
Blogger lotusgreen said...

thanks midori, very much. now that i think of it, wasn't that james taylor i sent once?

29 December, 2007 21:39  
Blogger lotusgreen said...

hp--wow! i was so wrong! well, i am half a year older than james taylor, so i am surprised about you. from your photo i thought your were in your 20s!

29 December, 2007 21:42  
Blogger lotusgreen said...

liza--no need to be private about it--thanks for letting me know--your blog looks wonderful and i'm so glad you're doing it!

my email is in my profile!

and so it's beginning to look like more of us are somewhat more generationally related thank i'd thought. cool!

29 December, 2007 21:46  
Blogger lotusgreen said...

l'Oursonne--yes, well, i never tried it, and the more i thought about it the more i wasn't so sure it was a good idea ;^)

29 December, 2007 21:50  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

surely, it's he.
that was christmas-album and it's my favorite.

i felt depth of your sadness from fire and rain.

30 December, 2007 06:03  
Blogger David Apatoff said...

Lily, I am so sorry to hear about the loss your friend. I too am of an age where those mournful notes from Fire and Rain trigger a deep emotional response. What a generation.

02 January, 2008 11:54  
Blogger lotusgreen said...

thanks david. yes, it's the beginning, isn't it? i feel that so much about life will be revealed and so it will have its fascinating side, and still i'm sad.

the interesting thing is that i didn't think of this song but just after i heard about her it came on the radio.

02 January, 2008 12:05  

Post a Comment

hi, and thanks so much for stopping by. i spend all too much time thinking my own thoughts about this stuff, so please tell me yours. i thrive on the exchange!

<< Home

newer posts older posts