japonisme: chinese dancers

20 May 2010

chinese dancers

i have been keeping something from you. but first... it's always wonderful to be discovered by someone with a blog that makes you, well, swoon. post after post in this woman's blog, poetic oneirism, somehow make you want to use the word utterly. then, when i came across this post, with this photo, i gasped.

for what i have been keeping from you is one of my favorite artists, elyse ashe lord. sure, her images feature all of the elements of japonisme, but, almost idiosyncratically, the people she features are chinese! sort of. from what i know, she never actually went to the orient, but there is something about her somewhat fantastical versions that delight me. and thus, when i saw that photo i thought immediately of this series of lord's.

ON THE COLD FOOD FESTIVAL,
ENTERTAINING AT THE SOUTHERN ESTATE:

the Guests Were Li Chiu-ho, Ma Nan-yeh, Wei Tung-kao, Li Hu-ch'uan, Huang K'ung-ts'un, Li Lung-t'ang, and Hu Hu-shan


Singing, dancing—handsome actors entertain;
guests have been invited to the courtyard.
The singers' mats hold the setting sun;
the dancers' sleeves flap in the east wind.

Lakeside willows—this smoky mist is hard to prohibit!
Flowering peach—a fire burning red by itself!
Village women come to ride the swing;
when they're done kicking, their hair is a mess!

Li K'ai-hsien. Translated by Jonathan Chaves

ting jen's post on dancing is so full, that i needn't come up with much
on my own.












QUIET SITTING

As I get older,
I like quiet sitting:
too many worries harm your soul.
My poems are not achieved by slaving at each word;
of all the emotions, serenity is best!

The perfumed steps are covered with flowers;
in blossoming trees: frequent songs of birds.
When the feeling comes, I dance and sing,
completely forgetting my head of white hair.

Wang Chiu-ssu. Translated by Jonathan Chaves.

ah yes.

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Miguel Gómez Losada said...

Wonderful blog, very nice. Thanks

Have a nice day

22 May, 2010 02:44  
Blogger lotusgreen said...

gracias, miguel, and thank you for stopping by.

i love the picture of you painting a tree on the side of a building. i wish you would come and paint on my house! ;^)

22 May, 2010 07:11  
Blogger Poesis said...

I'm over the moon... Thank you thank you! It is very kind of you to mention Poetic Oneirism and I'm so flattered. Really glad you enjoyed the post on Tang music and dance - I love that subject. And thank you for introducing me to Elyse Ashe Lord. Her paintings are gorgeous, full of movement and musicality, reminding me of Dunhuang murals. As usualy, a beautiful post from you. LOVE!

22 May, 2010 09:16  
Blogger Poesis said...

P.S. In addition to Elyse Ashe Lord's artworks, I must also look into Wang Chiu-ssu's "Quiet Sitting" translated by Jonathan Chaves. Simply wonderful. :-)

22 May, 2010 09:19  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think the first picture is Chinese dancers, maybe it's more like Korean.

22 May, 2010 09:59  
Blogger lotusgreen said...

thank you poesis --and also fur turning me on to the dunhuang murals. some amazing stuff there.

now, i believe that the are chinese, but let me leave it to poesis to clarify.

22 May, 2010 12:48  

Post a Comment

hi, and thanks so much for stopping by. i spend all too much time thinking my own thoughts about this stuff, so please tell me yours. i thrive on the exchange!

<< Home

newer posts older posts