japonisme: can't jump, either

14 March 2007

can't jump, either

i never noticed this consciously before, but it seems white people haven't had much in the way of bold, colorful pattern in their textiles (other than perhaps scandinavia?) until exposure to the fabrics from japan. at least the ones in the prints.

i'm not crazy about raoul dufy's paint- ings; grandma dee had a print of one over her sofa and that seemed just about right. but when i discovered his fabric design recently i loved them! while these are slipping towards the fauve/matisse-y era of western art, they wouldn't have happened at all without the required inspiration.

perhaps these were completed during his early years, while he worked in a museum, before he really found his painting style. but for me they are some of the most wonderful fabric designs of the era, and i'm glad he did at least these.

gakutei yashima lived from 1788 to 1868. he was also a poet and often included his poems in his paintings.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Diane Dehler said...

The Amish may be an exception. Their quilts were precursors to modern art.

15 March, 2007 22:52  
Blogger lotusgreen said...

good point. yes, i saw a lot of quilts, but didn't count them because in fact they were all made with fabrics withtiny prints.

i did however see something yesterday that might have been an earlkier large floral print, but it was too small to tell for sure.

18 March, 2007 09:55  
Blogger Diane Dehler said...

I have thought about writing poems on my clothing as a mixed media thing but don't know as I would like people "reading" me. :)

05 April, 2007 22:13  
Blogger Diane Dehler said...

This had me remembering a beautiful Raul Dufy seascape that someone gave me. I really loved it and I am thinking of a birdcage too. These visual impressions of the past have created a morphed collage in my brain.

05 April, 2007 22:17  

Post a Comment

hi, and thanks so much for stopping by. i spend all too much time thinking my own thoughts about this stuff, so please tell me yours. i thrive on the exchange!

<< Home

newer posts older posts