japonisme: in the street of persimmon

29 May 2007

in the street of persimmon

i will begin this post geographically rather than chronologically. david lance goines, as i have mentioned before, lives and works here in berkeley, and one sees his posters everywhere.

then one day i was looking at the mfa's fine collection of japanese postcards, and i came across this one, which looked like one of those 'direct link' kind of things with david's work.

studying these, and a number of the older woodblock prints from japan, i realized that while it was clear that the practice of outlining in this way originated in the japanese prints, one development added as it evolved into art nouveau was that the line thickened. the postcard is easily from after this had happened.

the rest was more or less stream of con- scious- ness.



but then i came across another print, this time of a wigmaker.

and her kimono reminded me of this stencil design for a kimono that i had found.

and wouldn't you know it,








the kimono design reminded me of another david lance goines poster.

(inspiration)

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Diane Dehler said...

I would like a persimmon cloak.. I could wear it at night riding my ghost Whippet, Nimble of Thrace under the full moon. If you wonder what I am talking about there is a "magical whippet" thread on my blog. I am feeling rather more fanciful than usual. If possible.

This is another star in your blogger's crown, Lotusgreen.

29 May, 2007 22:36  
Blogger lotusgreen said...

a persimmon cloak would indeed be magical on you, princess, i am sure!

30 May, 2007 14:11  

Post a Comment

hi, and thanks so much for stopping by. i spend all too much time thinking my own thoughts about this stuff, so please tell me yours. i thrive on the exchange!

<< Home

newer posts older posts