japonisme: laborers day

31 August 2008

laborers day



THE NEW COLOSSUS

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride
from land to land;

Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand


Glows world-wide
welcome;
her mild eyes command

The air-bridged harbor
that twin cities frame.


"Keep, ancient lands,
your storied pomp!" cries she

With silent lips.
"Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses
yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse
of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Emma Lazarus

UNION MAID

There once was a union maid, she never was afraid
Of goons and ginks and company finks and the deputy sheriffs who made the raid.

She went to the union hall
when a meeting it was called,
And when the Legion boys come 'round
She always stood her ground.

Oh, you can't scare me, I'm sticking
to the union,
I'm sticking to the union, I'm sticking to the union.
Oh, you can't scare me,
I'm sticking to the union,
I'm sticking to the union 'til the day I die.

This union maid was
wise to the tricks of company spies,
She couldn't be fooled by a company stool,
she'd always organize the guys.

She always got her way
when she struck for better pay.
She'd show her card to the National Guard
And this is what she'd say

You gals who want to be free, just take a tip from me;
Get you a man who's a union man and join the ladies' auxiliary.
Married life ain't hard
when you got a union card,
A union man has a happy life
when he's got a union wife.

Woody Guthrie (1940)

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger The Passenger said...

Very nice blog...I like the themes you talk about...I'll take an eyeds on it! Ciao from Italy!

31 August, 2008 14:12  
Blogger lotusgreen said...

thanks you passenger!@ welcome

31 August, 2008 15:52  
Blogger Margaret said...

Love the Woody Guthrie song! And the posters are just fabulous--what a great Labour Day post!

01 September, 2008 18:09  
Blogger lotusgreen said...

thank you margaret! it's really hitting me hard this year-- i am so angry at the people who have been in power in this country for the last eight years, and their disregard for some of the basic things this country was founded to be.

01 September, 2008 19:29  

Post a Comment

hi, and thanks so much for stopping by. i spend all too much time thinking my own thoughts about this stuff, so please tell me yours. i thrive on the exchange!

<< Home

newer posts older posts