japonisme: sunday, actually

26 September 2007

sunday, actually

SIXTY

Because in my family
the heart goes first
and hardly anybody makes it
out of his fifties,
I think I'll stay up late with
a few bandits
of my choice and resist good advice.
I'll invent a secret scroll
lost by Egyptians
and reveal its contents:
the directions
to your house,
recipes for forgiveness.
History says my ventricles
are stone alleys,
my heart itself a city with a terrorist
holed up in the mayor's office.
I'm in the mood to punctuate

only with that maker of promises, the colon:
next, next, next, its says, God bless it.
As García Lorca may have written:
some people
forget to live as if a great arsenic lobster
could fall on their heads at any moment.
My sixtieth birthday is tomorrow.
Come, play poker with me,
I want to be taken to the cleaners.
I've had it with all stingy-hearted
sons of bitches.
A heart is to be spent.
As for me, I'll share
my mulcher with anyone
who needs to mulch.

It's time to give up
the search for the invisible.
On the best of days there's little more
than the faintest intimations.
The millennium,
my dear, is sure to disappoint us.
I think I'll keep on describing things
to ensure that they really happened.

Stephen Dunn

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The happiest of birthdays to you, Lily (in advance, of course).

Christine

27 September, 2007 08:25  
Blogger lotusgreen said...

thank you christine.

the first one i've felt i had to examine. part of that examination is to not keep it secret.

27 September, 2007 09:53  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Indeed, Happy (belated) Birthday! It makes sense to me that you are a Libra...

02 October, 2007 01:41  
Blogger lotusgreen said...

you comment makes me grin and i'm not even going to ask :^)


(and yes, i'm still enough of an old hippie to get it!)

02 October, 2007 08:28  
Blogger harlequinpan said...

Sorry i'm late!Happy Birthday!Lily

Congratulations!! your are a newborn baby,as someone said life begin from sixty.

02 October, 2007 18:23  
Blogger lotusgreen said...

thank you dear harlequin--that is a wonderful attitude. thank you.

02 October, 2007 19:29  

Post a Comment

hi, and thanks so much for stopping by. i spend all too much time thinking my own thoughts about this stuff, so please tell me yours. i thrive on the exchange!

<< Home

newer posts older posts