japonisme: her parrot accomplice

27 July 2009

her parrot accomplice

MAY COLVEN

False Sir John a wooing came
To a Maid of beauty fair,
May Colven was
this Ladys name,
Her Fathers only Heir.

He woo'd her butt,
he woo'd her ben,
He woo'd her in the Ha';
Until he got
this Lady's consent,
To mount and ride awa'.





He went down to
her Father's bower,
Where all the Steeds
did stand;
And he's taken one of
the best Steeds,
That was in her Father's hand.

He's got on, and she's got on,
And fast as they could flee,
Untill they came to a lonesome part,
A Rock by the side of the Sea.



Loup off the Steed says false Sir John,
Your bridal bed you see;
For I have drowned Seven Young Ladies,
The Eight one you shall be.

Cast off, Cast off, my May Colven,
All and your silken Gown,
For it's o'er good, and o'er costly,
To rot in the Salt Sea foam.







Cast off, Cast off,
my May Colven,
All and your
embroider'd shoen,
For they are o'er good,
and o'er costly
To rot in the Salt Sea foam.

O turn you about
O false Sir John,
And look to the leaf
of the Tree;
For it never became
a Gentle Man,
A naked Woman to see.

He turnd himself straight round about,
To look to the leaf
of the Tree;
So swift as
May Colven was,
To throw him
in the Sea.

O help, O help my May Colven,
O help, or else
I'll drown;
I'll take you home to your Father's bower
And set you down safe and sound.

No help, no help you false Sir John,
No help nor pity thee;
Tho' seven Kings Daughters you
have drown'd
But the Eight
shall not be me.

So she went on her Fathers Steed,
As swift as
she could flee;
And she came home to her Father's bower
Before it was
break of day.

Up then spoke
the pretty Parrot,
May Colven where
have you been,
What has become of
false Sir John,
That woo'd you
so late the streen.

He woo'd you butt,
he woo'd you ben,
He woo'd you in the Ha',
Until he got your own consent
For to mount and gang awa'.



O hold your tongue my pretty Parrot,
Lay not the blame upon me,
Your Cup shall be of the flowered Gold,
Your Cage of the Root of the Tree.




Up then spake
the King himself,
In the Bed Chamber
where he lay,
What ails the Pretty Parrot,
That prattles so long or day.

There came a Cat
to my Cage Door
It almost a worried me,
And I was calling
on May Colven,
To take the Cat from me.

(there are many versions of this, all anonymous)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Yoli said...

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS!!!!! What a wonderful post.

27 July, 2009 14:03  
Blogger lotusgreen said...

oh yeah! you're a parrot person, aren't you??! how cool and thanks! i love these images too!

27 July, 2009 14:46  
Anonymous evan said...

Very cool images... I find myself with an overwhelming craving for crackers...

...I once shared a house with an African Grey- very entertaining- given the cats & dogs, her neurosis can be forgiven

28 July, 2009 10:47  
Blogger lotusgreen said...

evan!!! you are too funny.

once on new year's day i was at this woman's house for tea ceremony and special new year's day lunch. another of her visitors came with her grey. when i went to say hello and admire her she bit me on my nose. drew blood.

28 July, 2009 10:52  
Blogger John Hopper said...

I particularly like the Auchentaller which I've not seen before.

29 July, 2009 05:09  
Blogger lotusgreen said...

me too, john! i had never heard of him until recently; i believe he's got an exhibition going on (in spain?).

29 July, 2009 06:18  

Post a Comment

hi, and thanks so much for stopping by. i spend all too much time thinking my own thoughts about this stuff, so please tell me yours. i thrive on the exchange!

<< Home

newer posts older posts